Sunday, May 4, 2008

Our Sunday

I'm sad to report that my Derby pick, Eight Belles, met a tragic end after finishing second in the 134th Kentucky Derby. I'm sure you've heard by now. Somehow she suffered bilateral front ankle injuries immediately after her fantastic finish, and had to be euthanised on the track. Absolutely tragic. I'll admit it, I cried. Couldn't help but think of my beloved Peppy. Gone for almost eight years, but I still think of him often. Horses will break your heart.

On a lighter note, Cory needed a day away so I planned a visit to nearby Fort Harrison State Park. We often go to Eagle Creek Park but wanted to explore somewhere new. Thanks to the internet, I discovered this park and we decided to go in order to spend some time together away from the many demands of the business and the house. I spent the entire day cleaning yesterday so we could have a guilt-free Sunday. We figured the big pile of mulch in the driveway could wait a few more days to be spread.


We packed up some picnic provisions (mainly Subway sandwiches and some snacks) and drove over to Lawrence. The park is simple but quite beautiful. We enjoyed walking the trails and spotting the many native wildflowers along the way. One of the trails wound around Fall Creek, offering beautiful scenery without being too physically demanding. We had a great time. I'm so glad Cory is so tolerant of my constant commentary regarding the flora. It must secretly drive him crazy.

We were home by late afternoon, relaxed but tired. I'm so glad it's spring again and we can enjoy theses types of outings together.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My third try to get this to post....from your technically challenged mother-in-law!

"Never spread mulch when you can make a memory day."...think Hallmark will hire me to write cards??

I treasure both of you! Love, Patt

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...