Saturday, May 3, 2008

It's Derby Day

Well, today's the Kentucky Derby and I'm a little sorry I'm not at Churchill Downs. We talked about going down this year, but Cory's been so busy that it was out of the question. I'm sure we'll have better seats from the couch than we would if we were actually there, but I'd sure love to see the race in person someday. It's such an historic event - even if the feature race is only about two minutes long. I think we'll make plans to go there for sure next year...

I wanted to post my pick here for posterity. My favorite for today is Eight Belles, a rare filly in a field composed traditionally of boys. No filly has won the Derby since 1984, in fact only 38 fillies have run the race since its inception in 1875. No one really knows how she will do, but she is the most experienced horse in the race and was lucky enough to draw a good starting position. Yes, I'm rooting for her mostly because she's a girl - I'll admit that. She's also a beautiful horse with incredible power and speed.



I'll be watching later this afternoon...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...