Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Life right now.

I'm in the process of assembling David's baby book (better late than never), and the task has me a bit sentimental about how he has grown in his brief 20 months. Had I not recorded some of the seemingly mundane and intricate details of everyday life on this blog and in my scrapbooks, I might have lost those memories forever since it took me so long to get around to the final project.

Of course every little detail of life can't, and probably shouldn't, be documented. Sometimes the process of documentation itself can get in the way of living life. I can be guilty of letting that happen. But it's still so fun to recall the little things once enough time has passed to let those memories vanish. You just can't do that unless you write those details down.

Enough philosophizing. My point in bringing this all up is that while looking over my journal entries for baby book material, I realize how long it's been since I made a little list of David's here-and-nows. I think I'll regret not having done this in the future. I'm gonna do that right now.

  • In the past few days, he has figured out how to shake his head "no".  Grreaattt.
  • He loves his wooden rocking horse made by Great-Granddad Calvert. He rocks back and forth so vigorously that I'm afraid he might flip it one day. No guts, no glory.
  • He's quickly become a Sesame Street junkie. He asks to watch it regularly (pointing to the TV and pleading "tree! tree!"), and somehow already knows the names of the characters. I watched this show as a kid and I turned out OK, so it can't be all bad, right? Just wish they'd bring back Mr. Rodgers Neighborhood.
  • Still loving books. I leave a few in his crib during naps and I often find him quietly flipping through them once he wakes up.
  • He is an eager helper around the house. Chores include putting items in the trash, getting his diaper and wipes out for a diaper change then throwing the dirty diaper in the can afterward, helping me put wet clothes in the dryer, and getting out his socks or clothes to get dressed. The look on his face is priceless during all of these tasks. He is just so darn PROUD of himself. And he should be. My little helper, and he's not even two.
  • He adores stickers. Loves his sticker book, and the stickers that the bank tellers or grocery clerks give him for his shirt on outings. I was at Anthropologie a few weeks ago and he pounded his shirt when the sales girl spoke to him at the register. He wanted a sticker, and they didn't have any. I guess not too many brave moms venture in that stores with toddlers in tow, so they weren't properly equipped.
  • His temperament is changing a bit. He's still calm most of the time, but he's become prone to passionate outbursts, both of the funny and the angry variety. We are working hard at consistent and firm discipline. And when I say "we", I don't just mean Cory and me. David is clearly trying to discipline us as well. We just continue to try to follow that age-old tenant of toddler-rearing: don't ever let him win. Even if it means leaving a Sprint store red-faced and sweating from restraining him for 20 minutes in a desperate effort to keep him from running amuck amongst the displays. Not only did I win that battle, but I think I got faster service because they were trying to get me (us, really) the heck out of there.
  • He has recently started saying "Mom-my" and "Dad-dy", instead of just "Mom" and "Dad". We both love this.
  • Before we leave the house, we are required to say "bye" to everything. The TV, the toilet, the kitchen sink, the remote. Everything. And then we're off like a herd of turtles.
  • He's just so darn much fun.

These are just a few details of our everyday life. I'm sure they will change in no time. Happy Wednesday, everyone.

1 comment:

PATT said...

Those tiny things are precious! Thanks for keeping track of them....he changes weekly, if not daily!

Love, GrammyPattpatt

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...